Sunday, June 15, 2014

You are important

Fathers day is a special, weird, amazing day. For those of you who are fathers, whether young, old,  step, adopted, mentor, near or far... Happy Fathers Day.

It's a strange day for those of us who have weird issues with our dads. I miss my dad, who died before he reconciled with me. He'd disowned me at one point, and that really sucked.  I had to realize it was his issues... if it were up to me we would have had a great relationship. I'm not trying to disrespect him when I share this. My parents had divorced when I was young. My dad disowned me over a misunderstanding over a time I, now an adult, planned to come over for a visit. 

Hurting people hurt people. I've heard that saying many times, and felt the pain from that truth.

You know, I wrote my story for a few reasons. I wrote it to validate everyone out there who had a painful upbringing.  If I could, I'd give every one who was hurt in their past a big hug, and tell them they are valuable. I know that feeling of not knowing how to categorize a sucky childhood that left a negative impact on me that took years to get over. I know that struggle. I want other people who've gone through similar pain to know they are worth the struggle to heal.

I wrote it for another reason too. I was unwanted, and I can't help but share how God saved me. I don't say this to invalidate anyone's beliefs. I feel compelled to share it because it's how I became whole again. I was unwanted by both of my parents. I felt orphaned as an adult. God gave me a new name- precious, wanted, planned for daughter. Suddenly, I had a father. Those words changed my life.

No matter where you are in life, I'm glad you're here.

Ok, phew. Well, here are a few of my favorite, validating words....

 "I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty."
2 Cor 6:18

For we know, brothers and sisters loved by God, that he has chosen you

1Thes 1:4

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.

John 3:16-17

The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father."
(Abba means Daddy)

Romans 9:4



No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 8:37-39
 

No comments:

Post a Comment